One of the more popular questions I get asked is about snacks — there are many we can think of, but, somehow we end up standing in front of our pantry or fridge, sigh, and come up short. While I have done a piece on snacks before, I decided to expand the list and share with you the snack lists I give my current clients.
Because this is lengthy, I will set this up in two parts. Recognize that palates are varied and some may be awkward to you (the suggestions) and some may not. Some may be great for kids or adults with children, and some may not. Feel free to get creative. And as always, if you have any ideas or things you want to share with me, e-mail me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Microwave a sliced apple and add cinnamon and sugar. Consume with small dish of vanilla frozen yogurt, or melted (12 seconds) peanut butter, or 2 oz cheese
- Oatmeal + raisins + handful mixed nuts + cinnamon and/or brown sugar (mix and eat)
- Cut pitted prunes in half, spread with low-fat cream cheese (opt to put them on a graham cracker or eat as is)
- Wegmans’ CoCo Pops topped with Nutella
- Wegmans’ CoCo Pops topped with apple butter
- Whole grain waffles (toasted) topped with apple butter and almonds or cashews
- Dip sugar snap peas into warm goat cheese (30 seconds in the microwave for cheese)
- With one 1 small whole-grain tortilla, spread honey and chopped walnuts onto tortilla. Place one small or medium banana onto tortilla. Roll up the tortilla. Eat.
- Spread celery with peanut butter and top with raisins (Ants on a Log)
- Mix 2 tbsp bittersweet chocolate chips into part-skim ricotta and sprinkle with chopped pistachios
- Frozen red grapes (1-2 cups) and large glass of almond milk
- Take 1 crepe (store-bought) and spread almond butter and roll up with fresh berries inside
- Spread 2 slices of whole-grain bread with honey and peanut butter. Put in freezer for 30min-1hr (some of my clients love frozen, crunchy honey sandwiches and eat them with a glass of milk at bedtime). Feel free to add a banana into the sandwich
- Hummus and pita or hummus and carrots
- Smash 1 ripe nectarine OR pear and mix with low-fat cottage cheese. Spread onto gingersnaps
- Canned (in water) tuna + 1-2 TBSP low-fat mayo + dash of Old Bay. Mix in small bowl. Eat.
- Greek yogurt + honey + almonds
- Dried nori (seaweed) strips + handful of mixed nuts
- Greek yogurt (flavored) + handful Fiber One cereal
- In blender: fresh or frozen raspberries, blueberries, Greek yogurt, dash of flaxseed (crushed).
- Peanut Butter & Coconut Bars: Combine puffed whole grain cereal with just enough peanut butter and marshmallow cream to hold it together. Stir in shredded coconut and dried blueberries. Press into a pan, chill and cut into bite-size portions.
- In Blender: Pureed honeydew or cantaloupe + scoop EAS vanilla protein powder with vanilla yogurt and ice
- Graham crackers + low-fat cream cheese + jam/jelly or low-sugar jam/jelly
- Graham crackers + low-fat cream cheese + peanut butter
- Baked chips topped with chopped hard-boiled egg seasoned with lemon, parsley and anchovies
- Roasted/salted soybeans (dried edamame) + fruit